Thursday, July 31, 2008

First steps

Well, here goes. I'm dipping my toes into the rather daunting world of blogging and feeling excited. Can you feel the excitement? I really have no idea how to do this so if this all seems a bit clunky, a bit awkward, a bit unprofessional, please bear with me. I'm a noobie (apparently that means I'm new to all this. I looked it up.)

Where to start, hmm.....

Okay, so I suppose I should really start off by saying why I'm starting this learning design blog. Oh did I mention that? It's a learning design blog. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, here's what Google has to say about it:

"No definitions were found for learning design."

Well, there you go. Let's try Wikipedia, then:

"The IMS Learning Design specification supports the use of a wide range of pedagogies in online learning...."and then it goes on to blather about outcomes of learning design and the distinction between it and instructional design and....phew. I have no idea what the IMS Learning Design specification is, or what "pedagogies" are. Fruit, possibly. It strikes me that, as a learning designer I really should know, so there you go. That's something for me to do, right there.

Which brings me, rather neatly, around to my reasons for starting this blog: to learn. They say the best way to teach is to be continually learning yourself. So, you know, I figure if I talk about learning design and make my thoughts public, i.e., put my ignorance out there like dirty underwear on a clear day, I might actually shame myself into learning what exactly it's all about! And that can only be a good thing.

Now, to find a nice font...ah, Trebuchet.
I was joking about thinking pedagogies are fruit by the way. Of course I know what pedagogies are. Sheesh!

No, really. I do.

1 comment:

Sean Twomey said...

As Yoda would say we must "unlearn, what we have learned" :)